North Brooklyn Parks Alliance – Executive Director
The North Brooklyn Parks Alliance (NBPA) is hiring its next Executive Director! NBPA was formed in 2003 as the Open Space Alliance (OSA) with a mission to raise funds for the expansion and improvement of our local parks. NBPA is modeled after other successful conservancies in NYC and works closely with the Parks Department. Unlike conservancies who focus on a single park, however, we cover all parks in Community Board 1 (Greenpoint and Williamsburg). This allows us to interact with and spread resources across a culturally, racially, and socioeconomically diverse community.
NBPA is a small organization. The ideal candidate is independent and highly motivated but is also adept with delegating work amongst a small staff. They must be as comfortable socializing for fundraising as they are working alone on administrative tasks.
Required Skills & Experience
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors, provide leadership to the organization, manage daily operations, and occasionally run events and/or programs as needed. Ideal candidates will bring a variety of knowledge and skills including:
- An intimate knowledge of nonprofit business structure and best practices, and significant experience in nonprofit either as a staff member or Board Member
- Superb time-management and organizational skills
- Administrative experience, including financial management, strategic planning, board relations, and resource management, as an Executive Director, or equivalent
- Proven record of fundraising success with individual, corporate, and foundational donors as well as earned income through concessions and other means
- Visionary leader with practical skills to grow a small organization into a large one
- Relationship-builder who can comfortably connect with organizational and community partners (Parks staff, donors, local politicians, community members, and our board)
- Enthusiasm for the mission of NBPA
- Not required, but Spanish and/or Polish language skills a plus
- Develop, support, and empower an effective team; building strong morale and collaboration between staff members and volunteers through dependable leadership and integrity
- Foster a climate which attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people
- Perform regular check-ins with all employees, Board Chair, and Parks Department (bi-monthly at minimum)
- Ensure and verify all staff members comply with proper documentation and archiving procedures
Budget & Finance
- Ensure NBPA applies sound and legally compliant financial and administrative practice through effective fiscal management
- Working with part-time Bookkeeper, maintain vigilant oversight of organizational budget, P&Ls, invoices, and contract status/management
- Ensure all invoices are clearly documented and paid or received in a timely manner
- Provide comprehensive fiscal reports no later than one week prior to quarterly Board meetings
- Work with the staff and finance committee of the board in preparing an annual fiscal budget and ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines; work with finance committee of the board in preparing annual tax returns and annual report
- Raise the profile of NBPA by actively and effectively representing the organization to donors, community leaders, volunteers, and the community at large
Execute a successful fund development strategy by working closely with the board and Development Director to maintain and increase current levels of giving; identify new funding sources, especially through building NBPA’s individual donor program and earned income streams
- The compensation is $100-140K plus benefits, commensurate with experience.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The North Brooklyn Parks Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.